Friday 4 March 2016

Reccomendation Friday: Red Queen (Red Queen #1) – Victoria Aveyard





















Genre: YA Fantasy/Post-apocalyptic
Publication: 2015
Pages: 382 (hardcover)

Plot: Mare Barrows lives in a world that is divided by blood. Those with silver blood have supernatural powers and rule over those with red blood. Mare is one of the Reds and is worried that she might get conscripted for the war between her country Norta and the Lakelands. Then a stranger offers her a job at the palace, where Queenstrial is held, a competition to find a wife for the crown prince and Nortas future queen. Through an accident Mare discovers that she has an ability only a Silver should have – she can make lightning.

Three reasons why you should read this book:
1. The world building! It’s very different from other post-apocalyptic or dystopian books. It has a rather roman influence, mixed with modern technology.
2. People with all different kinds of supernatural abilities! I don’t think I have to add more to this.
3. A major plot twist! I’m not going to tell you what it is, but I definitely didn’t see that coming.

My opinion: I was curious about this book, because it had gotten a lot of attention online. I wanted to know what the fuss was all about, but wasn’t expecting much. But, oh, was I wrong!
To be honest, it didn’t convince me right from the start. It’s well written and makes you want to go on. Then it gets more and more exciting and I couldn’t put it down. I fell in love with the characters and although I was worried in the beginning that Mare could be one of those boring and annoying protagonists, she’s definitely not! She is strong, a fighter, but also has her flaws and that’s what makes her character believable.

Conclusion: The story is somewhat unpredictable, I had no idea what I was getting into and I gasped out loud in shock more than once on the train (note: this is not a book you should read in public). Definitely a great and strong start to a new series!

My rating: 4,5/5 Buttons
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment